Saturday, March 3, 2012

First formal acknowledgement of the work that had happened and the horror that had occurred was made by the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital

Senator MOORE (Queensland) (16:04): Thank you, Mr Deputy President. To the people in the gallery, to the people who are listening to this and to the people who have given us their lives, this is your report. Take it, read it and be proud, because none of this would have happened without each of you who have given us the incredible honour and the responsibility of putting on paper and putting into the community knowledge your histories.

Five years ago in my office in Brisbane, three women came to see me. They brought some pictures and a couple of books that they had written, and they brought their pain and their anger and their disgust, because no-one had believed what had happened to them. I was sitting listening to them at that time and I personally could not believe that in my country, in places that I knew, to people with whom I had worked, the experiences that they told me about had happened. In some ways, I was a bit fortunate because I live in Brisbane, and the first formal acknowledgement of the work that had happened and the horror that had occurred was made by the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital, a hospital I knew well. I think it is important that we recognise here that a number of people over the last five years have begun to formally acknowledge the horrors that occurred in our community.
From Senator Claire Moore's speech.

These three women were, Jan Kashin, Margaret Oakhill-Hamilton and Therese Hawken from ALAS. Thank you for pointing us out in the press conference that followered.
The First official Apology was given to ALAS Members.
Thank you for recognising us in your speech.

No comments: